Saturday, September 7, 2013

Foldable shopping bag project -- part 1

Last year, before our trip to San Francisco, I bought some foldable shopping bags to keep in my purse to whip out when shopping. It's a good thing, too, since they had just begun charging extra for bags at stores.

Unfortunately, these bags were not as durable as I expected.


As you can see, the seams on the handles came unstitched. This was from normal use.

So, recently I began searching online for do-it-myself folding tote bags. After some careful studying and comparing of different patterns and styles, I dove in today and made one of my own. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with it!

I started with some fabrics I had on hand. The beige linen is left over from a skirt I made a few years ago, and the floral print from a vest. I went to JoAnn Fabrics to pick up the snaps, button, and bias binding.

Pictures coming tomorrow...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment